With a poor track record of women participating and progressing in corporate life in Perth, the Committee for Perth undertook a two-year long, gender equity research project – Filling the Pool, which culminated in a report published in 2015.
The project aimed to:
- Produce a clear understanding of Perth’s corporate landscape in terms of middle to senior level women;
- Identify the similarities and difference of that landscape with other Australian capital cities;
- Provide recommendations to retain professional women and increase participation rates; and
- Provide women with a guide to success in the corporate world.
Facts to ponder:
- In the top 80 firms there are less than half the national average number of female directors, less than half the number of female CEOs and less than a third the number of female board chairs.
- The gender pay gap in Perth is the largest in Australia, at 25.3%.
- Lack of gender equality represents a loss to the Australian economy of around $300 billion a year.
Will there be a follow up report to measure actions implemented and results achieved? We’d love to see that, stay tuned.