Around the world, around 116 million women in developing countries have still not completed primary school, according to UNESCO, while two thirds of the worldwide illiterate population are female.
- Around 10% of the deaths of adolescent girls all over the world are a result of violence
- An adolescent girl dies every 10 minutes, due to an act of violence.
- Parents and intimate partners are the most commonly cited perpetrators of physical violence against adolescent girls in almost all countries
- One in three girls between the ages of 13 and 15 internationally experience bullying on a regular basis.
- Around 120 million girls worldwide (more than one in 10) have experienced forced sexual acts at some point in their lives
- Almost half of girls aged 15 to 19 worldwide believe a husband or partner is sometimes justified in hitting or beating his wife or partner under certain circumstances
- Around 130 million women and girls alive today have experienced genital mutilation
- More than 700 million women alive today were married before their 18th birthday, more than one third before the age of 15.
Read more at Unicef’s A Statistical Snapshot of Violence Against Adolescent Girls